Sunday, November 21, 2010

My Essay on "The Maque of the Red Deah"

Austin S.                                                                                                                 
Mrs. Zurkowski
October 27, 2010                                                                                       
Honors English – Purples
“Masque of the Red Death” Writing Activity
            Towards the beginning of Edgar Allan Poe’s story “Masque of the Red Death”, a paragraph was devoted entirely towards the seven colored rooms of Prospero’s abbey and their contents. One of the seven colored rooms in the prince’s retreat was purple. The purple coloring in the room represented the games, fun, and playfulness of youth as well as the ignorance derived from unknowing. As such a beginning stage, it did come closer to the start of the paragraph.
            Throughout life there are seven stages, each of them unique in some way. The seven rooms in the story represented these. Purple in the second room was the color chosen to represent youthfulness. It is the second stage in life after birth, and is when the innocence of ignorance allows for fun and games. Also related to the room was the clock of life, symbolized in the story by an ebony clock located in the black room with red panes. This stage was still early on and allowed for there to be more time for transition into other stages of life.
            This purple room and its symbolic color relate to me in many ways. Youthful ignorance and playfulness are represented by the color purple as a stage of my life. As an adolescent, that stage of my life has only just been left behind. There are still remnants of the stage resident, such as a capacity for fun and games, which I am hopelessly an addict of. Board games, discovering the new and exciting world around me, and just plainly goofing off are all still with me today. However, the flip-side of the color also relates to my life. Gone is the innocence of ignorance and now actions have consequences, be them good or otherwise. If I break something when I bump into it, I will be punished. If I do well in school I am rewarded. The fun and games of purple are over, but I still have many more stage to go through.

No comments:

Post a Comment